Another English recipe, Vegetable pastry case (savoury vol-au-vent), by Celia Margaret Wallhead, professor of the Department of English and German. This is the third recipe she has sent to us and we know she is a great cook, so we strongly recommend you to take a look at this one… Enjoy!
- 1 lb puff pastry.
- 1 egg yolk.
- 2 onions.
- 2 cloves garlic.
- 8 oz mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons butter.
- 2 tablespoons flour.
- ¼ cup cream.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds.
- 4 tomatoes.
- 1 cup frozen peas.
- Salt & pepper.
- Roll out pastry to half thickness.
- Cut round 8-inch pot lid and cut smaller circle in middle not quite through.
- Mark with criss-cross pattern, brush top with beaten egg yolk.
- Put on wetted baking tray and bake at 450ºF for 25 mins.
- When cooked, scrape out lid and fill shell.
- Peel and slice onions, crush garlic, slice mushrooms.
- Fry in butter, add cream, almonds and peas.
- Simmer gently for 5 mins, then fill case.
- Serve hot with salad.
Author: Celia Margaret Wallhead Salway
Editor and image: E.R.S.