Today we reach the end of the Christmas recipes special… But it is not over yet! Today we have two English recipes written and sent by Celia Margaret Wallhead, professor of the Department of English and German. This one is the Yorkshire Curd Tart. Enjoy!
Ingredients and directions:
- 1 pint curd (obtained by heating 1 quart of milk to bloodheat and adding to it 1 tablespoonful of rennet. Strain when set.) Otherwise use 3 or 4 pots of ready-made curd (cuajada).
- Line a cake-tin with short-crust pastry and place in it the following mixture:
- Mix curd until smooth and to that add 2 ozs sugar and 1 dessertspoonful golden syrup (or maple syrup), 1 egg, 2 ozs currants and a knob of melted butter.
- Flavour with rum.
- Bake in a hot oven for about 30 minutes.
- Alternative flavourings are nutmeg or lemon.
Author: Celia Margaret Wallhead Salway
Editor and image: E.R.S.